Specialty Crop Grant
Increasing Regional Awareness of Rhode Island Specialty Crops:
The Web Presence for the Rhode Island Agricultural Council's
Farm Viability Specialty Crop Grant 2016-2018
The Rhode Island Agricultural Council (RIAC) will enhance the visibility and viability of specialty crops throughout Rhode Island and New England via a multi-faceted promotion and education campaign. As an umbrella organization, the RIAC represents many specialty crops including tree fruits, floriculture, vegetables, nursery, and horticultural crops. Our unique composition, which also includes organizations committed to educating youth about agriculture, gives us the potential to reach a wide audience with information about nearly all RI's specialty crop industries. Our project will consist of a redesigned RIAC website that will increase visibility of specialty crop organizations, pamphlets educating the public about the RIAC and its member organizations, and a traveling display highlighting RI specialty crops. Presentations will be made at agricultural events throughout New England and in classrooms across the state.
The objectives of this project are to educate the public about specialty crops and to thereby encourage increased profitability for producers. Our project will consist of:
- A responsive RIAC website (that automatically adjusts to the viewing device) to educate producers and consumers about the benefits of RI's specialty crops and to feature a calendar of events that can be updated by member organizations.
- A traveling display highlighting the specialty crop organizations within the RIAC that will be featured at farmers' markets, fairs, the Big E, local schools, etc.
- Informational brochures about "What the RIAC Does for YOU" featuring the specialty crop organizations and their roles in consumers' lives.
- April 2016 — RIAC website converted to responsive layout with technical support provided by MouseWorks.
- April 2016 — Dedicated page for 2016-18 Specialty Crop Grant added to website.
- April 2016 — Article about Specialty Crop Grant published in Country Folks: Rhode Island Agricultural Council awarded grant. Kristen M. Castrataro. 1 April 2016.
- June 2016 — Article in Country Folks mentioning Specialty Crop Grant: For insight into Rhode Island's farming community, look into the RI Agricultural Council.
- July 2016 — Developed and distributed informational brochures about the role of the RIAC.
- August 2017 — Educated visitors to the Washington County Fair about the RIAC and RI Specialty Crops.
- October 2017 — Added the RI Ag Fact of the Day to the website.
- October 2017 — Designed member pages for RIAC members without a current web presence.
Calendar of Events
- May 10, 2016 — Ag Day at the State House, Providence, RI
- May 19, 2016 — RIAC Annual Meeting
- August 17-21, 2016 — Washington County Fair
- October 20, 2016 — RIAC Meeting